2016-08-23 9:58 am
Part of Todai-Ji, Migatsu-dō also known as Nigatsudo Hall, stands for “Second Month Hall” where in fact the Shuni-e ceremony is held during the second month of the lunar calendar. The hall is considered to be one of the most important additional structures of Todai-Ji.
Founded by a monk by the name of Sanetada in 752, Nigatsu-dō was actually completed somewhere between 756 and 772, but was unfortunately destroyed by a fire in 1667. Immediately after its destruction, monks and other worshippers started the re-construction of Nigatsu-do and it was completed in 1669.